The Sparta Public Library provides the use of meeting rooms for library-related cultural, civic and educational purposes. Permission to use library facilities does not constitute an endorsement by the library of the group’s policies or beliefs.
Please contact the library at (618) 443-5014 to reserve a meeting space.
MEETING ROOM POLICIES AND REGULATIONS
The librarian or a designee authorizes use of the meeting room and maintains a schedule. In the event a question is raised as to the objectives and activities of any group or organization requesting use of the meeting room, the Sparta Library Board of Trustees has the final authority in granting or refusing permission for use of the room.
The following regulations apply to the use of the library meeting room. Any departure thereon may be made only by the written authorization of the Head Librarian.
1. Library programs and library related programs and meetings have priority in the use of the meeting room at all times.
2. The meeting room is available for use by organizations, but not for social gatherings, religious worship, money-raising, political or commercial purposes.
3. Non-partisan organizations which do not endorse individual parties or candidates may be allowed to conduct meetings in the library at which current election issues will be discussed by the candidates for public office, provided that all candidates for the same office shall be invited.
4. Meetings which may disturb regular library functions shall not be scheduled.
5. Group activities involving more than normal wear and tear on the meeting room will not be permitted, i.e. classes in handicraft projects involving paint or other materials which may cause damage.
6. The library is not responsible for the arrangement of the room for meetings.
7. Before or after hours meetings will be scheduled only if staff is available.
8. Maximum capacity limited to 50.
1. Reservations for using the meeting room are made by contacting a librarian and must include the name of the organization, time period desired, name and number of persons responsible, and the purpose or function of the meeting.
2. All fees must be paid at the time of registration. Registration fees will be refunded if staff is unavailable for after-hour meetings.
3. Application to use the room shall be made at least one week in advance, but not more than four weeks in advance. Monopolization of the room by organizations will not be allowed. Regular meetings will not be scheduled.
4. The meeting room may be scheduled for meetings during regular library hours.
III. Use of Kitchen Facilities
1. Organizations may use kitchen facilities to prepare light refreshments. No red punch will be allowed.
2. Organizations are responsible for all kitchen cleaning.
3. Alcoholic beverages are not permitted.
4. Smoking is not permitted.
5. Organizations are required to leave the room clean and orderly.
6. No dishes or utensils will be provided by the library.
7. No electrical appliances may be left unattended.
IV. Responsibility for Equipment and Facility
The library is not responsible for any equipment, supplies, materials, clothing, or other items brought to the library or transported to library property by any group or individual attending the meeting.
1. No signs, displays, or exhibits may be attached to the wall in any manner.
2. Organizations shall accept responsibility for the repair or replacement of damaged or missing equipment, or for damage to the building’s interior.
3. No material, equipment, or furniture belonging to groups or organizations may be stored on library premises. The library will not assume responsibility for any items left on the premises.
The Sparta Public Library Board and staff do not assume any liability on groups or individuals attending a meeting in the library.
VI. Duties of Scheduled Groups
The scheduled group is responsible for setting up chairs, tables, furniture, and/or library or non-library equipment prior to the meeting and for returning all library property to the designated location upon termination of the meeting. The room must be left in a clean and orderly condition. Future use will be denied if this is not observed. The person signing the application for permission to hold a meeting in the library will be billed for any necessary repairs in the event of damage to library property.
1. There will be a $20 charge for using the meeting room during regular library hours, IF REFRESHMENTS ARE SERVED. $5.00 will be refunded if the room is left in good order.
2. The charge for the room before or after regular library hours will be $50, of which $5.00 will be refunded if the room is left in good order. This fee includes three (3) hours of meeting time at $10.00 per hour or portion thereof. Any unused meeting hours will be refunded at the rate of $10.00 per hour. Meetings must be concluded by 10:00 p.m.
3. No fee for meetings scheduled during regular library hours with NO REFRESHMENTS SERVED.